Skip to main content

Debbie Downer Reviewers

What if academia was built on a culture of collaboration?  What if we tried to give each other truly constructive feedback?  What if we met people on their own terms and didn't try to impose our vision onto their work?  What if we started each review by highlighting what we liked about a piece?


Don't be a Debbie Downer reviewer!
Maybe it's just me, but these days it feels as if academic culture (and academic reviewing more specifically) has become overly negative.  It's as if we're all channeling our inner-Debbie Downers whenever papers come across our desks.  But, does it have to be this way?

A couple years ago, my colleague--Erik Schneiderhan--wrote a great piece about the meanness of academic reviewing.  He makes some great points and argues that we could all stand to be a bit more gracious in our comments to authors.  He writes, "Try to build people up rather than knocking them down. It might make you feel good, and it will show the recipient that good-quality reviews need not skimp on being nice."

What great advice! Erik is right. Being critical doesn't mean that we have to snipe people in our reviews.  We don't work in a zero sum world.  We work in a collaborative one.  And maybe it's good to remember that from time to time. 



It sounds corny, but there is truth in this adage.
I, for one, have learned so much from gracious reviewers over the years.  These weren't always positive reviews, but they were almost always written in a tone that didn't feel dismissive or combative.  They were written with a tone of critical appreciation.  These reviewers have pointed out areas of papers that needed clarification and/or elaboration.  Others have pointed me to key readings that have broadened my horizons and helped me make better sense of my data.  And then, there are the occasional reviewers who simply remind me that not everything I write is s**t. God bless those people.

So, what can we do?  I'm just shooting from the hip here, but maybe there are some easy things that we can implement that will subtly change the review process?  Maybe we can start each review with a belief that there is something absolutely great about the paper we're about to read? How might looking for the positive change the ways we react to shortcomings and weaknesses in the paper?  How might this approach change the tone that we use when evaluating papers?

Or, maybe we can remember that we're engaging with a person's ideas during one point in the long life cycle of a paper?  The author might not have all of the kinks worked out, but perhaps they have a good idea or two that could really become great with a little more work?  I've recently experimented with this latter technique and it's made a huge difference in my experience as a reviewer. It's made me appreciate every paper I've read in recent memory and it made me feel grateful to have opportunities to help authors improve their work.  

Anyways, this was just a little rant about the negativity in academic reviewing.  Let's try to be more supportive.  I know it sounds hokey, but we are in this thing together and we can all make this game a little more collegial and collaborative.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Shadow of Gun Violence (In Loving Memory of Bette Clark)

I met Bette and her oldest son, Joey, during a death penalty trial in Center City.  It was the sentencing phase for the two men who killed her youngest son, Timmy, who was gunned down execution-style when he was 15. Caroline, an advocate with the Families of Murder Victims, introduced us.  "Bette, this is Jooyoung.  He's a researcher and wants to interview you."  Joey sized me up and seemed protective of his mom, who had already been through so much.  Her eyes were red from crying, so I said, "I'm really sorry to hear about what happened." She smiled a little and said in her Tacony accent, "Thank you. It's been such a long day.  But, call me whenever, sure." I spent the next day with Bette and her family at the courthouse and visited them weekly over the next year.  I hadn't planned on following the families of murder victims, but my ongoing research in Philly had pushed me in this direction.   While getting to know gunshot

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown I have a heavy heart tonight.  My thoughts and prayers are with the families of Newtown.  The Newtown shooting is a terrible tragedy. It has reminded me of lessons learned while studying the families of murder victims.  For the past 2 years, I have been researching the everyday lives of families who lose someone in a murder.  This has been difficult—and often heartbreaking—research.  I have spent many nights thinking about how much I take my family, friends, and other people in my life for granted.   I think about the mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and siblings whose first and last thoughts of each day are of the person they loved and lost. The things that I have seen and the stories that I have collected have left a deep and permanent mark on my soul. Amongst the many thoughts swirling around in my head, I keep returning to a troubling “double standard” that we

Bath Salts and Ultra Violence?

During the past couple weeks, I've come across shocking stories of people who become ultra violent after ingesting hallucinogens.  These stories are a sharp contrast to the likes of Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters.  The two stories are something closer to scenes from Texas Chainsaw Massacre. For example, the Internet is filled with stories of Rudy Eugene, a man who was discovered eating another man's face in Miami.  Reports are linking his ultra-violent behavior to "bath salts," a mostly legal synthetic compound that is said to produce a wide array of intense hallucinogenic results in users after ingestion. After being summoned by a fellow motorist, police officers shot and killed Eugene who allegedly growled at officers and continued chewing on the victim's facial flesh until he was shot and killed.  In the media frenzy, Eugene is being called everything from a crazed "zombie" to a cannibal on the Internet. Ronald Poppo (victim) and Rudy Eugene