Skip to main content

The Long Shadow of Gun Violence (In Loving Memory of Bette Clark)

I met Bette and her oldest son, Joey, during a death penalty trial in Center City.  It was the sentencing phase for the two men who killed her youngest son, Timmy, who was gunned down execution-style when he was 15.

Caroline, an advocate with the Families of Murder Victims, introduced us.  "Bette, this is Jooyoung.  He's a researcher and wants to interview you."  Joey sized me up and seemed protective of his mom, who had already been through so much.  Her eyes were red from crying, so I said, "I'm really sorry to hear about what happened." She smiled a little and said in her Tacony accent, "Thank you. It's been such a long day.  But, call me whenever, sure."


I spent the next day with Bette and her family at the courthouse and visited them weekly over the next year.  I hadn't planned on following the families of murder victims, but my ongoing research in Philly had pushed me in this direction.  

While getting to know gunshot survivors, I also met the people most affected by their injuries and trauma. Mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, grandparents, cousins, and children are all negatively impacted by a loved one's shooting.  

Bette was the first person I met who had lost someone in a fatal shooting.  Her experiences taught me a hard lesson: The families of murder victims never get over it. There is a sadness that hangs over them for the rest of their lives.  Sure, some people are better than others at coping with the murder of a loved one.  But, many families carry an immense sadness around with them.  And mothers bear the brunt of this trauma. 

I am grateful that I got to know Bette over the years.  I saw how much she loved her boys and I saw how much she continued to suffer long after Timmy was killed.  I was there when her oldest son, Joey, started to relapse.  I still remember the day when Bette told me about Joey's ongoing battle with heroin. We were having lunch and she was distraught.  I did my best to console her, but saying, "everything will be alright" felt hollow since I knew the demons that Joey was grappling with.  Joey could never really shake the memory of his slain brother.  When he was still alive, Joey would often recount in pristine detail the horror he felt when police showed up on his doorstep and asked if he could identify the bodies at the end of the block--a mere 100 yards from his doorstep.  Joey took drugs to numb the pain and guilt he felt from not being able to save his little brother.  I balled my eyes out years later when Bette called me and said that Joey had overdosed and died.

And then, there was Matt.  The middle brother.  He was shy and quiet and wouldn't say much whenever I came over.  He'd just give me a handshake and he'd ask how I was doing. Matt had recently enlisted into the army reserves and was gone on different weekends doing different things with the military.  Bette was so proud of him, but also worried that he was bottling up all his emotions.  She told me that he was guarded about his feelings and didn't really like to open up a whole lot about the pain he felt.  I was sad to learn about his legal troubles years later and wrote a letter speaking about the long effects of trauma and how I had never known Matt to be a violent person.  I pray that he finds support during this difficult moment.  

After moving to Canada, I lost some contact with Bette.  I'd keep in touch with her on Facebook and Instagram, and we'd talk occasionally, but life has a funny way of rolling on.  It wasn't long until I was caught up in my own little world.   

Bette and I were supposed to have lunch together during my most recent visit to Philly.  I was looking forward to the meeting, but then she called me and said that she wasn't feeling well. We agreed to meet up during my next visit and she joked, "And then I can meet your beautiful wife!" I didn't think twice about it then and believed in my heart that this meeting would happen, probably in the summer. I regret now not renting a car and just driving over to her home, even if only to pay my respects.

Bette was a beautiful, friendly, compassionate, funny, and intelligent person.  She always welcomed me into her home and had this incredible warmth about her.  Despite all that she had been through, she was always ready to help other people out when they were in need.  She often let the friends of her sons sleep over when they needed a place to crash, and was always so happy for other people when life smiled in their direction.  I wish that life would have smiled a bit more in her direction, too.  I regret that I never got to say goodbye or give you another hug.  I hope you rest in peace, Bette.  And I hope that you know how much you were loved.   


Comments

  1. Bette was so outspoken and often said things I only thought in my mind when we first met on MOMY's website. Our lives were often paralleled in many circustances. I did not lose another child to drugs, but have come close. We spoke late last year when she lost her job and talked of her maybe coming to visit Colorado when possible. I too was looking for work then. I will miss her rants and how she never gave up in seeking justice for her boys. Another MOMY gone too soon. R.I.P Dear friend, sister, MOMY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay, Thank you so much for sharing your stories of Bette. I also loved that she was a very outspoken critic and was always fighting for justice. She was tough, inspirational, and just an all around great human being. I have been feeling so down today reflecting on all my memories of her and her kids. I would love to connect with others in MOMY to learn more about people's experiences coping with the loss of a child. Please let me know if you would be comfortable talking more or know people. I'm a researcher and would love to document people's experiences so that policymakers can see all of the areas where families need support. Warmly, Jooyoung

      Delete
  2. Our dear Bette was one of the first Moms I met when my daughter was murdered. The group stands for Mothers of Murdered Sons/Daughters. She was first known as "Crazy Lady" to all of us because of all the silly things that we would discuss in our "chat room". At this time they still hadn't found Timmy's killers. So was so broken yet so compassionate and caring for us newer Moms who had just joined the group. She ended up being called "Dorie" because she could be oh so forgetful....and we were always searching for that "boat" that would sail us away from these "new lives" we never wanted to live. She at one point became "Ginger" from Gilligan's Island because we had resolved that the only boat that was ever coming for us was going to be the S. S. Minnow! But we were willing to take that deserted island because it would mean we could all be together. My family and I were lucky enough to actually meet Bette on several occasions unlike many of those that are in our group. We are scattered not only across the country but actually the world. However distance or not having met each other does not diminish the bond that we have for each other. Our dreams were for all the Moms to someday be able to meet in a central location for a weekend. We planned in the chat room all the way down to who was going to do the cooking! So I find particular interest that someone actually is asking about families in need of support. We are forgotten but most of society and expected to just pick up and carry on. Even those Moms, such as Bette, who have lost a second child. But what society doesn't know or care to find out is the "aftermath of murder" and the burden we all must bear just to make it to another day. How could they when we, ourselves, didn't even know what laid ahead for us on this long lonely road filled with painful turns one after another. We actually believed that someday we could fulfill that dream to actually psychically be able to reach out and hug each other. Now it seems like we are lucky some days to just make it to the next day without yet more pain. Our dearest Bette/Dorie seemed to be hit harder than so many others of us. The song "Enough Rain" by Melissa Etheridge seemed to be a song written for Bette and her life. Yet through it all she "carried" on was always there for the rest of us. Bette will be so dearly missed by so many because she touched so many lives and gave us all inspiration and faith that we could carry on no matter how difficult our lives had become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,
      Thank you for the nice message. Bette used to tell me stories about the many mothers that she connected with online. She would always talk about you all as a source of support. I would love to learn more about the stuff that mothers (and families more generally) do to support each other during such a difficult process of losing a child. Please let me know if there's a website I can check out and if there are others who would be willing to talk about Bette and their own work with such groups. Warmly, Jooyoung

      Delete
  3. Thank you so very much for your wonderful tribute for our dearest Sister Mom Bette. We have a webpage: Mother's of Murdered Sons/Daughters http://moms.memorial-of-love.net/ That would be a start. Meanwhile I will re-post your messages with the link to the blog that I have already posted in a closed group we started in Memory of Bette. I will encourage them to respond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, Thank you for sharing this. I will check out the website. I am grateful for the help and am so happy knowing that there is an online community of folks who support each other. I don't think anybody can really understand what you all have been through. I hope you have a nice day and I thank you again. Jooyoung

      Delete
  4. Jooyoung...Here is a link to Bette's obituary. http://www.legacy.com/funerals/mccaffertysweeney-philadelphia/obituary.aspx?n=bette-ann-clark&pid=184775364 Also I want to add as I do believe this should be part of any research in regards to parents that lost a child(ren)....Our dear friend died of a broken heart...literally...it was ruled a heart attack...but we all know better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, Laura. I have booked my flight and will be attending the viewing. I'm still feeling heartbroken about this, but I am grateful that I can come and pay my respects. I am so sad to hear about this and yes...all of us who knew Bette knew how much she suffered after Timmy and Joey passed away. I would like to talk with other families to build a stronger case for ongoing support to families who are struggling after the murder of a family member.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown I have a heavy heart tonight.  My thoughts and prayers are with the families of Newtown.  The Newtown shooting is a terrible tragedy. It has reminded me of lessons learned while studying the families of murder victims.  For the past 2 years, I have been researching the everyday lives of families who lose someone in a murder.  This has been difficult—and often heartbreaking—research.  I have spent many nights thinking about how much I take my family, friends, and other people in my life for granted.   I think about the mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and siblings whose first and last thoughts of each day are of the person they loved and lost. The things that I have seen and the stories that I have collected have left a deep and permanent mark on my soul. Amongst the many thoughts swirling around in my head, I keep returning to a troubling “double standard” that we

Bas Rutten's Punk Payback: How (Not) to Act During a Robbery

El Guapo I love Bas "El Guapo" Rutten.  The Dutchman was a former UFC Heavyweight Champion, 3-time King of Pancrase, and an all-around badass.  Following his illustrious fighting career, he transitioned into MMA commentary.  I've found his commentary insightful and think that he comes across as a very humble and approachable person. Recently, I learned that Fuel TV was producing a show for Rutten called "Punk Payback."  I immediately thought that the show would be a spin-off of MTV's "Bully Beatdown," a show in which professional MMA fighters confront and beat up bullies.   To me, this would make sense: Bas Rutten was bullied when he was younger and openly talks about developing self confidence/awareness through the martial arts. I just watched a 10-minute clip of Punk Payback and am surprised to report that it isn't this kind of show.  Instead, the episode I saw featured Rutten providing colorful commentary on how to resist/disarm armed