Skip to main content

Lessons from The Karate Kid on Bullying

Like many of you, I was a child of the 1980s.  I grew up watching Saturday morning cartoons and Bruce Lee movies like Enter the Dragon.  My favorite movie from that era, however, was The Karate Kid.  Most of you have probably seen the Karate Kid multiple times over, but here's a quick recap and explanation for why I'm using it as my lead-in for this blog: 

Wax on, Wax off!
A kid, Daniel LaRusso, and his mom move from the east coast into a Southern Californian suburb.  He arrives in sunny Southern CA and is immediately a fish- out-of-water.  He develops a crush on a girl at school (played by Elizabeth Shue), but is picked on by mean bullies who are part of the Cobra Kai dojo, an aggressive 'no mercy' brand of karate.  Daniel strikes up an unlikely friendship/mentorship with Mr. Miyagi (an old and reclusive Japanese immigrant) who teaches his valuable life lessons and karate using unconventional methods (like having him buff and wax his cars).  Daniel eventually becomes a karate badass and confronts his bullies, earning their respect.  The end.

Anyways, even though the Karate Kid is a pretty cheesy movie, it has a bunch of relevance for current discussions around bullying.  In recent years, bullying has garnered popular attention, both in the US and in Canada.  Scientists have linked bullying to a whole gamut of negative mental health consequences.  It has been implicated in everything from relatively acute forms of depression and negative body image, to suicide amongst children and teenagers.  

While karate is still a popular mainstay in American society (and offers children a martial arts background that can pay dividends over the life course), Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has quickly become another popular form of self-defense for children.  Both of the BJJ schools in which I have trained currently offer children's BJJ classes that are marketed as a means for "bully self defense."  Check out Balance Studios in Philadelphia.  They currently have a program that is designed to "Bully Proof" children.   My current BJJ school, Toronto BJJ, also has a children's class where they teach kids the fundamentals of BJJ.  These classes are fun, engaging, and will teach your kids techniques and life lessons that will help them manage bullying, if they ever have to confront it. 

Don't be fooled by their smiles, these kids can wreck shop!

And as BJJ continues to grow in popularity--thanks in large part to the explosion of the UFC and other MMA organizations--public schools are beginning to adopt BJJ as part of their physical education.  Check out this article on BJJ becoming part of Brazilian elementary school education.  

One thing that I love about the martial arts is that they are not only a series of physical techniques and moves that one can deploy in self-defense scenarios.  The martial arts also teach you to be a more calm, gracious, and confident person.  The lessons learned on the mats often extend far beyond the dojo or gym.  This, after all, is communicated in one of the best scenes from The Karate Kid.  At one point, Daniel LaRusso asks Mr. Miyagi, "What kind of belt do you have?"  Mr Miyagi, wryly responds, "Canvas.  JC Penney, $3.98.  You like?"  Daniel replies, "No, I meant..." Mr. Miyagi then says, "In Okinawa, belt mean no need rope to hold up pants."  Mr. Miyagi then taps his head and says, "Karate here."  He then taps his heart and says, "Karate here."  Mr. Miyagi then points to his belt, "Karate never here. Understand?"




Comments

  1. Folks, here is a really interesting link to an article written by Meghan Welker, "How to Protect Kids from Bullying without Turning Them into a Bully." Check out her blog!
    http://www.babysitting.net/blog/how-to-protect-kids-from-bullying-without-turning-them-into-a-bully/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Shadow of Gun Violence (In Loving Memory of Bette Clark)

I met Bette and her oldest son, Joey, during a death penalty trial in Center City.  It was the sentencing phase for the two men who killed her youngest son, Timmy, who was gunned down execution-style when he was 15. Caroline, an advocate with the Families of Murder Victims, introduced us.  "Bette, this is Jooyoung.  He's a researcher and wants to interview you."  Joey sized me up and seemed protective of his mom, who had already been through so much.  Her eyes were red from crying, so I said, "I'm really sorry to hear about what happened." She smiled a little and said in her Tacony accent, "Thank you. It's been such a long day.  But, call me whenever, sure." I spent the next day with Bette and her family at the courthouse and visited them weekly over the next year.  I hadn't planned on following the families of murder victims, but my ongoing research in Philly had pushed me in this direction.   While getting to know gunshot

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown I have a heavy heart tonight.  My thoughts and prayers are with the families of Newtown.  The Newtown shooting is a terrible tragedy. It has reminded me of lessons learned while studying the families of murder victims.  For the past 2 years, I have been researching the everyday lives of families who lose someone in a murder.  This has been difficult—and often heartbreaking—research.  I have spent many nights thinking about how much I take my family, friends, and other people in my life for granted.   I think about the mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and siblings whose first and last thoughts of each day are of the person they loved and lost. The things that I have seen and the stories that I have collected have left a deep and permanent mark on my soul. Amongst the many thoughts swirling around in my head, I keep returning to a troubling “double standard” that we

Bas Rutten's Punk Payback: How (Not) to Act During a Robbery

El Guapo I love Bas "El Guapo" Rutten.  The Dutchman was a former UFC Heavyweight Champion, 3-time King of Pancrase, and an all-around badass.  Following his illustrious fighting career, he transitioned into MMA commentary.  I've found his commentary insightful and think that he comes across as a very humble and approachable person. Recently, I learned that Fuel TV was producing a show for Rutten called "Punk Payback."  I immediately thought that the show would be a spin-off of MTV's "Bully Beatdown," a show in which professional MMA fighters confront and beat up bullies.   To me, this would make sense: Bas Rutten was bullied when he was younger and openly talks about developing self confidence/awareness through the martial arts. I just watched a 10-minute clip of Punk Payback and am surprised to report that it isn't this kind of show.  Instead, the episode I saw featured Rutten providing colorful commentary on how to resist/disarm armed