Skip to main content

Bas Rutten's Punk Payback: How (Not) to Act During a Robbery

El Guapo
I love Bas "El Guapo" Rutten.  The Dutchman was a former UFC Heavyweight Champion, 3-time King of Pancrase, and an all-around badass.  Following his illustrious fighting career, he transitioned into MMA commentary.  I've found his commentary insightful and think that he comes across as a very humble and approachable person.

Recently, I learned that Fuel TV was producing a show for Rutten called "Punk Payback."  I immediately thought that the show would be a spin-off of MTV's "Bully Beatdown," a show in which professional MMA fighters confront and beat up bullies.   To me, this would make sense: Bas Rutten was bullied when he was younger and openly talks about developing self confidence/awareness through the martial arts.

I just watched a 10-minute clip of Punk Payback and am surprised to report that it isn't this kind of show.  Instead, the episode I saw featured Rutten providing colorful commentary on how to resist/disarm armed robbers.  In many ways, the show's premise reminded me of one of Rutten's famous online videos in which he shows you how to win a bar fight (by any means necessary). 

Rutten shows how to turn the tables on unsuspecting armed robbers
The episode of Punk Payback that I saw begins with surveillance footage of different armed robbery situations.  In one example, a masked robber runs into a take-out place and demands that the clerk empty the cash register into a plastic bag.  Rutten then shows audience members how they can effectively disarm and beat up an armed assailant if they are ever unlucky enough to be in that situation.

In a simulation, he empties the change into a plastic bag, and while talking to the would-be robber, rolls the bag up, moves his body safely out of the way of gunfire, and beats the fake robber with the bag full of change.  This and many other segments of the show are highly entertaining, but I worry that the show might be over-selling some of the techniques--particularly to lay audience members who may mistakenly believe that they too can execute such techniques.

"El Guapo" and many others trained in real life combat arts (a la Krav Maga) practice and drill this kind of stuff.  Through years of physical and mental training, they become conditioned to respond in ways that give them a higher probability of emerging from dangerous situations with the upper hand.  But, even with a lifetime of training, I'm sure that Bas Rutten and others well versed in combat arts would tell you that there is a high degree of uncertainty and risk in any kind of violence.  In spite of one's training, there are only a certain number of things that one can hope to control in a violent encounter.

The average person watching Punk Payback isn't drawing from the same well of knowledge or training.  In this way, does the show create unrealistic expectations amongst casual viewers?  Is it more dangerous to teach a lay audience very high risk kinds of self defense?   To me, the show's premise is a slippery slope: Although I think it's important for the general public to know self defense; I also don't know if it's responsible or reasonable to teach the mass public how to "effectively disarm" a gunman in 15-20 minutes.

In fact, much of what El Guapo outlines flies in the face of longstanding social science research on patterns of violence within armed robberies.  Social scientists like Frank Zimring and James Zuehl have a paper called "Victim Injury and Death in Urban Robbery."  Amongst other broad themes, Zimring and Zuehl show that victim noncooperation is strongly correlated with fatal violence.  They show that "active noncooperation" (refusals, flight, and physical force) is "...[A]ssociated with a death risk...14 times as great as cooperation or passive noncooperation (victim says they have no money)" (18).  If we take seriously this and other research, the most sensible response is to be totally compliant during an armed robbery.

In the end, I know that Punk Payback is a TV show and is supposed to be entertaining.  I was entertained and will probably watch it again.  Bas Rutten is a really great TV personality and seems like the last person anybody would want to mess with; my favorite story is one in which an unsuspecting Brian Urlacher (Chicago Bears Middle Linebacker) tries to start a fight with El Guapo until he realizes that he's trying to fight the pound-for-pound best fighter on the planet.

At the same time, I worry that casual viewers will try to implement these techniques during dangerous situations.  I don't know if that's such a good idea.  If stunt shows like Jackass discourage amateur viewers from trying their stunts, shouldn't shows like Punk Payback do the same?

Comments

  1. At first I kinda felt the way you did dude, but coming from a martial arts background, I noticed that Bas is very responsible in the way that he explains the techniques in each situation. He almost always says that it's better to just let them have the money if you're at work, after all your workplace is insured. But if it's your money and means going broke and not eating, then you might have to fight back. The first thing he says to do always focus on is controlling the weapon, be it a knife or firearm. I more just watch the show for entertainment purposes, I find him really funny and charismatic. But if you see the El Guapo award videos where ordinary people give a little "Punk Payback", you start to realise that these punks are by no means professional, and if they're using a weapon it's probably because they don't want a fight. I've had my fair share of would be assailants on the streets try to rob me and what not, and every time it's ended badly for them in one way or another, simply because of keeping a level head and knowing one's surroundings. And ultimately I think that's all Bas is really trying to promote, having a little confidence in your own abilities and paying attention to what's going on around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the response...I also love El Guapo...One of my favorite MMA commentators and a great ambassador for martial arts more generally...Which martial arts do you train? I would be curious to hear how you've used them on the streets. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Shadow of Gun Violence (In Loving Memory of Bette Clark)

I met Bette and her oldest son, Joey, during a death penalty trial in Center City.  It was the sentencing phase for the two men who killed her youngest son, Timmy, who was gunned down execution-style when he was 15. Caroline, an advocate with the Families of Murder Victims, introduced us.  "Bette, this is Jooyoung.  He's a researcher and wants to interview you."  Joey sized me up and seemed protective of his mom, who had already been through so much.  Her eyes were red from crying, so I said, "I'm really sorry to hear about what happened." She smiled a little and said in her Tacony accent, "Thank you. It's been such a long day.  But, call me whenever, sure." I spent the next day with Bette and her family at the courthouse and visited them weekly over the next year.  I hadn't planned on following the families of murder victims, but my ongoing research in Philly had pushed me in this direction.   While getting to know gunshot

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown I have a heavy heart tonight.  My thoughts and prayers are with the families of Newtown.  The Newtown shooting is a terrible tragedy. It has reminded me of lessons learned while studying the families of murder victims.  For the past 2 years, I have been researching the everyday lives of families who lose someone in a murder.  This has been difficult—and often heartbreaking—research.  I have spent many nights thinking about how much I take my family, friends, and other people in my life for granted.   I think about the mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and siblings whose first and last thoughts of each day are of the person they loved and lost. The things that I have seen and the stories that I have collected have left a deep and permanent mark on my soul. Amongst the many thoughts swirling around in my head, I keep returning to a troubling “double standard” that we