Skip to main content

C'mon Toronto, Smile More!

I've always been struck by how little Torontonians smile during the winter.  As a native Californian, smiling/grinning/laughing is a default emotional setting in everyday life.  It's quite common for strangers to exude positive vibes at the grocery store, in line at the movies, or while riding around on public transit.  Of course, one big exception is the bottleneck traffic along the 405 in LA, but I digress...
Anyways, I've always felt that Torontonians are somewhat cold in their outward affect, particularly when it gets cold, dark, and slushy.  It's not that people are scowling or frowning.  It's more that they have this serious, morose look on their faces.  For whatever reason, I'm very sensitive to this and feel the general emotional energy of settings whenever I enter into them.  

Today, I decided to do an on the spot survey of people's emotional expressions within a Sobey's near my apartment.  I know you social scientists out there are rolling your eyes at my sampling bias, but just humor me here with a little everyday sociological fun.

Here are the results:
I counted a total of 63 people inside the Sobey.  It was approximately 3:30pm and I made one full walk through the grocery store and looked down all of the aisles.  This count includes both customers and staff.

3/63 (5%) were smiling.  1 was Vanessa, my smiley and eternally optimistic Portuguese wife.  I told her that I was doing this survey and she made sure to smile extra widely.  I told her that she was skewing my results, but she didn't care.  I went back and forth, but ultimately decided to count her, since she was smiling before the survey officially started.

1 staff member was smiling after a coworker told him a joke.  Interestingly, the guy telling the joke wasn't smiling.  1 other customer was smiling. And that's it.  Aisles and aisles of people were walking around with mini-frowns on their faces.  Now, it could be the case that these people were stressed or that they were going through real life stuff.  I totally understand this and don't begrudge them for not feeling great or expressing joy outwardly.  But, many others are just scowling because they're stressed about something that's probably not a huge deal in the big picture.  Or, they're scowling because it's a hot mess outside.  

Whatever the case, this is way too low, Toronto.  Let's break this trend and spread good vibes even when it's shitty out. Researchers have found that the physical act of smiling tricks the brain into feeling happy--it's a natural way of reducing stress. And emotions aren't just individual feelings; they are contagious and spread.  So, let's make it a point to spread good vibes.  If you read this, go out and smile at someone.  They might look at you like you're kinda weird, but they might also start smiling...


Comments

  1. I think you might want to consider the time of day. 3:30...parents are shopping before the kids come home from school, so may be feeling rushed to go home and cook for their brood before hockey lessons or some other activity, the weather is a problem too knowing you just navigated it and will have to after shopping, plus who smiles while grocery shopping? Most people just want to make sure they don't forget anything so they don't have to go out again. Let's try a different venue at a different time of day! -mother of 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew somebody was going to get all sociological on me! I agree about some of these variations, but I've noticed this pretty consistently in various settings. I see it on the streetcar at non-rush hour times of the day; I also see it walking around campus or at other places like Tim Horton's or restaurants. There's exceptions to this rule, of course. My jiu jitsu gym and colleagues are all very friendly and smiley, but I would feel comfortable hypothesizing that you will not find a public setting with more than 10% of the present smiling in winter. The cold, grey weather really makes people turn inward and casts this gloom over the city.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Shadow of Gun Violence (In Loving Memory of Bette Clark)

I met Bette and her oldest son, Joey, during a death penalty trial in Center City.  It was the sentencing phase for the two men who killed her youngest son, Timmy, who was gunned down execution-style when he was 15. Caroline, an advocate with the Families of Murder Victims, introduced us.  "Bette, this is Jooyoung.  He's a researcher and wants to interview you."  Joey sized me up and seemed protective of his mom, who had already been through so much.  Her eyes were red from crying, so I said, "I'm really sorry to hear about what happened." She smiled a little and said in her Tacony accent, "Thank you. It's been such a long day.  But, call me whenever, sure." I spent the next day with Bette and her family at the courthouse and visited them weekly over the next year.  I hadn't planned on following the families of murder victims, but my ongoing research in Philly had pushed me in this direction.   While getting to know gunshot

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown I have a heavy heart tonight.  My thoughts and prayers are with the families of Newtown.  The Newtown shooting is a terrible tragedy. It has reminded me of lessons learned while studying the families of murder victims.  For the past 2 years, I have been researching the everyday lives of families who lose someone in a murder.  This has been difficult—and often heartbreaking—research.  I have spent many nights thinking about how much I take my family, friends, and other people in my life for granted.   I think about the mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and siblings whose first and last thoughts of each day are of the person they loved and lost. The things that I have seen and the stories that I have collected have left a deep and permanent mark on my soul. Amongst the many thoughts swirling around in my head, I keep returning to a troubling “double standard” that we

Bas Rutten's Punk Payback: How (Not) to Act During a Robbery

El Guapo I love Bas "El Guapo" Rutten.  The Dutchman was a former UFC Heavyweight Champion, 3-time King of Pancrase, and an all-around badass.  Following his illustrious fighting career, he transitioned into MMA commentary.  I've found his commentary insightful and think that he comes across as a very humble and approachable person. Recently, I learned that Fuel TV was producing a show for Rutten called "Punk Payback."  I immediately thought that the show would be a spin-off of MTV's "Bully Beatdown," a show in which professional MMA fighters confront and beat up bullies.   To me, this would make sense: Bas Rutten was bullied when he was younger and openly talks about developing self confidence/awareness through the martial arts. I just watched a 10-minute clip of Punk Payback and am surprised to report that it isn't this kind of show.  Instead, the episode I saw featured Rutten providing colorful commentary on how to resist/disarm armed