Skip to main content

Time Hacks for Academics!

People often say that "time is money."  But, that's not necessarily true. Time is actually more valuable than money.  It's the one resource that we can never replenish.  It's finite, disappearing, and something that we often take for granted.

This is what inspired me to go out and buy Laura Vanderkam's nifty little book, "What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast."  The title is catchy and the book is about different lifehacks that you can use to become happier and more productive.
Consider me intrigued...

There are lots of little gems in this slim (but meaningful) book, the biggest of which is that we often have WAY more time than we think we do.  This was a revelation.  As an academic, I often feel as if I don't have enough time to do all the things that need to get done.  There are days when I wake up, click open my cell phone and start scrolling through 10-20 unread emails from students and colleagues.  I then sit down and try to respond and before I know it, I've already spent half of my day and most of my mental energy on work-related emails that aren't urgent.

Vanderkam encourages people to keep a time diary to account for how you are spending time throughout a day.  This practice is supposed to show you moments where you can be more time-efficient.  If you account for your time, you suddenly realize how you're spending your time and where you can save it.  I haven't done this yet, but would be curious to know if others have and if they'd recommend it.  Vanderkam also includes some other valuable insights into time management.

1. Protect your time at the start of each day.  Vanderkam argues that the most successful people are early risers and that there's a psychological boost that one gains from starting your day with meaningful work.  This got me thinking about Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.  I follow him on Instagram and he's always posting short videos of himself hitting the gym at 4am in the morning.  There is a tremendous amount of discipline required to wake up that early and go to the gym for a serious workout.

The Rock gets it in before the day begins
But, there's also a logic.  Starting your day with something meaningful, purposeful, and positive (like working out or writing) gives you a mental boost that will carry over into the rest of your day. This habit creates what she calls a "cascade of success" and sets the tone for your day; if you're able to take care of something important (like working out for 30 minutes, writing 500 words in your manuscript), you will be better equipped to manage the many things that will likely distract you once you have left your writing nook.  When those things happen (and they will definitely happen), you will have already taken care of something important and as a result will feel more energized and ready to handle these other tasks.

2. Make small "to do" lists.  I'm a huge fan of lists.  I write them into my planner and use them to organize my time each day.  If you're like me, you might get a little boost of energy after you cross something off your "to-do" list.  But, Vanderkam points out that people--particularly ambitious go-getters--sometimes overload their list and put too many "to do" items on there.  This can be daunting and overwhelming. And, even worse, it can paralyze you, making it harder for you to take the most important first step toward getting stuff done.

Keep the To-Do list simple!
So, instead of writing a ton of things to do, keep your list lean and simple.  Focus on the most important "to do" items and prioritize them.  If you aim for a smaller number, you'll feel an energy boost knowing that you have successfully completed your list.

3. Productivity and joy go hand-in-hand.  This is a very important point for busy people who sometimes get mired in work and often believe that working hard = being miserable.  Vanderkam argues that the most productive (and by extension, successful) people are usually excited and joyful about their work.  They don't see work as a chore.  They focus instead on progress and celebrate the small victories in everyday life.  I think this is a great lesson for academics.  Our work is rarely ever "done" and we can sometimes feel as if we're not really making progress toward submitting a grant, publishing an article, or doing one of the seemingly endless tasks that comprise the academic career.

Celebrate small victories every day!
But, herein is an important lifehack.  Instead of thinking about the end results, try to focus on the little steps that you are taking everyday. As academics, we need to get better at celebrating these small victories! Celebrate the fact that you revised a section of your literature review!  Celebrate the fact that you submitted a review to a journal!  Celebrate the fact that you spent 20 minutes brainstorming how you're going to attack your R&R!  Reward yourself, share the good news with others in your inner circle, or do something fun to commemorate your daily achievements.

Check out Laura Vanderkam's blog for some excellent advice about time management. Please like and share the good vibes!  And please share your own time hacks! We can all benefit from learning about what works for you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Shadow of Gun Violence (In Loving Memory of Bette Clark)

I met Bette and her oldest son, Joey, during a death penalty trial in Center City.  It was the sentencing phase for the two men who killed her youngest son, Timmy, who was gunned down execution-style when he was 15. Caroline, an advocate with the Families of Murder Victims, introduced us.  "Bette, this is Jooyoung.  He's a researcher and wants to interview you."  Joey sized me up and seemed protective of his mom, who had already been through so much.  Her eyes were red from crying, so I said, "I'm really sorry to hear about what happened." She smiled a little and said in her Tacony accent, "Thank you. It's been such a long day.  But, call me whenever, sure." I spent the next day with Bette and her family at the courthouse and visited them weekly over the next year.  I hadn't planned on following the families of murder victims, but my ongoing research in Philly had pushed me in this direction.   While getting to know gunshot

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown I have a heavy heart tonight.  My thoughts and prayers are with the families of Newtown.  The Newtown shooting is a terrible tragedy. It has reminded me of lessons learned while studying the families of murder victims.  For the past 2 years, I have been researching the everyday lives of families who lose someone in a murder.  This has been difficult—and often heartbreaking—research.  I have spent many nights thinking about how much I take my family, friends, and other people in my life for granted.   I think about the mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and siblings whose first and last thoughts of each day are of the person they loved and lost. The things that I have seen and the stories that I have collected have left a deep and permanent mark on my soul. Amongst the many thoughts swirling around in my head, I keep returning to a troubling “double standard” that we

Bas Rutten's Punk Payback: How (Not) to Act During a Robbery

El Guapo I love Bas "El Guapo" Rutten.  The Dutchman was a former UFC Heavyweight Champion, 3-time King of Pancrase, and an all-around badass.  Following his illustrious fighting career, he transitioned into MMA commentary.  I've found his commentary insightful and think that he comes across as a very humble and approachable person. Recently, I learned that Fuel TV was producing a show for Rutten called "Punk Payback."  I immediately thought that the show would be a spin-off of MTV's "Bully Beatdown," a show in which professional MMA fighters confront and beat up bullies.   To me, this would make sense: Bas Rutten was bullied when he was younger and openly talks about developing self confidence/awareness through the martial arts. I just watched a 10-minute clip of Punk Payback and am surprised to report that it isn't this kind of show.  Instead, the episode I saw featured Rutten providing colorful commentary on how to resist/disarm armed