Skip to main content

Why You Should Sing in Public Showers: Toward a Sociology of NGAF

After a quick swim, I stepped into the public shower at the Y. Like most of you, I have a pretty standard routine in public showers.  I avoid making eye contact with others, wash quickly, and then bounce to the locker room.  It's like I was never there.  The public shower, like the subway or bus, is a place where people practice what Erving Goffman calls “civil inattention.”  There’s an expectation that you should enter this space, tacitly acknowledge others, but keep to yourself.  Engaging with someone in a space that feels so intimate and revealing can be awkward and intrusive.  And so, people walk into the showers heads down and go about their business without ever socially connecting with others.  

But, something interesting happened tonight…

As I was getting ready to leave, somebody started singing.  At first it was faint, a muffled echo against the sounds of a dozen showers squirting hot water on bodies.  But, then the singing got louder.  I glanced around the shower and saw an old guy, pushing 70, with white wispy hair singing into his shower head.  His eyes were closed and he was singing while scrubbing his armpits.  Sometimes, he sang into the oncoming jet stream of water; his singing would become a gargling yodel. 

Making a fool out of yourself can feel good & bring joy to others
This was funny and people started holding back laughter.  His voice grew louder and louder, echoing off the tile walls, piercing through the thick cloud of steam enveloping all of us.  I glanced through the mist and made eye contact with a few others, who were smiling and smirking.  It was like we were suddenly in on the joke—a secret society brought together by this guy’s cringe-worthy singing.

At one point, he got so loud that a YMCA staff member walked into the shower, peeked around the corner, and started cracking up when he saw the guy—in his birthday suit—singing his heart out.

Gene Kelly knew the joys of singing in public
By this point, some people were laughing out loud and a couple people were talking to each other.  The mood was light and people seemed happy.  And then, at a break in the action, someone else started singing!  At first I couldn't make out what this new person was singing, but I thought it sounded like he was humming Sam Cooke’s version of “Nobody Knows the Trouble I’ve Seen.”  (on a sidenote: it might have just been a bunch of gibberish.  I sometimes imagine hearing Sam Cooke music in the background of everyday life).

This tandem had become an impromptu acapella team. People were laughing as they combined powers, producing a loud, cacophonous symphony of sounds that must have sounded like humpback mating calls to people in the locker room.  

I walked out of the shower smiling, feeling light.  As I got changed, I replayed this event in my head, thinking about how the first guy had really gone out on a limb.  He made a fool of himself and in doing so, had set in motion something beautiful to witness.  The first guy (we'll call him "Gene") emancipated everyone else from the social pressures of maintaining a cool, serious, or respectable front.  And perhaps more importantly, he had inspired someone else to do the same.  

All of this got me thinking, maybe there is some real (sociological) truth to William Purkey’s famous quote:

“You’ve gotta dance like there’s nobody watching,
Love like you’ll never be hurt,
Sing like there’s nobody listening,
And live like it’s heaven on earth.”

I think Purkey was right.  Living unafraid of judgement and failure is a liberating way to be.  But, making a fool out of yourself isn't only personally liberating.  It also helps others feel less self-conscious.  It gives people around you courage and nudges them to loosen up and live a little.  So, next time you're in a stuffy, impersonal, or cold space, start singing.  Or dancing.  Or do something weird and silly.  What do you have to lose?  You will feel better and so will everyone else around you.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Shadow of Gun Violence (In Loving Memory of Bette Clark)

I met Bette and her oldest son, Joey, during a death penalty trial in Center City.  It was the sentencing phase for the two men who killed her youngest son, Timmy, who was gunned down execution-style when he was 15. Caroline, an advocate with the Families of Murder Victims, introduced us.  "Bette, this is Jooyoung.  He's a researcher and wants to interview you."  Joey sized me up and seemed protective of his mom, who had already been through so much.  Her eyes were red from crying, so I said, "I'm really sorry to hear about what happened." She smiled a little and said in her Tacony accent, "Thank you. It's been such a long day.  But, call me whenever, sure." I spent the next day with Bette and her family at the courthouse and visited them weekly over the next year.  I hadn't planned on following the families of murder victims, but my ongoing research in Philly had pushed me in this direction.   While getting to know gunshot

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown I have a heavy heart tonight.  My thoughts and prayers are with the families of Newtown.  The Newtown shooting is a terrible tragedy. It has reminded me of lessons learned while studying the families of murder victims.  For the past 2 years, I have been researching the everyday lives of families who lose someone in a murder.  This has been difficult—and often heartbreaking—research.  I have spent many nights thinking about how much I take my family, friends, and other people in my life for granted.   I think about the mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and siblings whose first and last thoughts of each day are of the person they loved and lost. The things that I have seen and the stories that I have collected have left a deep and permanent mark on my soul. Amongst the many thoughts swirling around in my head, I keep returning to a troubling “double standard” that we

Bas Rutten's Punk Payback: How (Not) to Act During a Robbery

El Guapo I love Bas "El Guapo" Rutten.  The Dutchman was a former UFC Heavyweight Champion, 3-time King of Pancrase, and an all-around badass.  Following his illustrious fighting career, he transitioned into MMA commentary.  I've found his commentary insightful and think that he comes across as a very humble and approachable person. Recently, I learned that Fuel TV was producing a show for Rutten called "Punk Payback."  I immediately thought that the show would be a spin-off of MTV's "Bully Beatdown," a show in which professional MMA fighters confront and beat up bullies.   To me, this would make sense: Bas Rutten was bullied when he was younger and openly talks about developing self confidence/awareness through the martial arts. I just watched a 10-minute clip of Punk Payback and am surprised to report that it isn't this kind of show.  Instead, the episode I saw featured Rutten providing colorful commentary on how to resist/disarm armed