Skip to main content

Developing a Strong Base in Jiu Jitsu and Everyday Life

Awesome Jiu Jitsu

I love watching Otavio Sousa.  He's a 2-time Black Belt World Champion and considered one of the great modern day jiu jitsu competitors.  Lots of people know him for his difficult "situp guard" and the high pace that he imposes on all of his opponents.

Otavio's solid base has crushed many guards

But, in the finals of the Atlanta BJJ Pro, we get to see one of the other skills in his repertoire--and indeed, something that is essential to the gentle art: BASE (or one's base of support).  Here's what my good friend (and one of my first jiu jitsu instructors), Josh Vogel, has to say about base:

Base refers to your base of support. A base of support is made up of whatever points of support you have with an object. If you are standing, your two feet are your points of support and your base of support would be the straight line drawn between your two feet. If you place one hand on the ground (and shift some weight onto it) you have three points of support on the ground and your base becomes a  triangle shape. That's your base and that's what people are talking about.

This is a really exciting match. Sousa squares off against Jaime Canuto (GF Team), a former surfer who is also a decorated competitor.  Canuto throws a bunch of different attacks at Sousa from the bottom position (guard) and tries to off-balance and sweep Sousa, who parries these attacks, recenters his body, and...maintains his base.

Eventually, Sousa starts to pass Canuto's guard and creates a small opening to secure the submission.  It's beautiful to watch.  I watched the entire match twice and marveled at Sousa's ability to pounce on Canuto's arm, which was momentarily left open in this scramble.  Sousa's base, in other words, keeps him from getting swept and allows him to gain the advantage and submit his opponent.

Base as a Foundation & Source of Resiliency

As it turns out, base is one of the first things people learn when they walk into a jiu jitsu academy.  As a newcomer, you must learn how to stand properly in base. This idea is harder than it sounds, but once you master it, you become harder to take you down, which is a gigantic part of jiu jitsu's self-defense lineage.

Beginners learn standing in base
The concept of base also has tremendous application in a self-help context.  We might even think of "base" as the foundation that keeps us from falling apart during periods of adversity.

Our lives are filled with personal and professional adversity.  To be alive is to face unpleasant experiences.  Maybe you have a pressing deadline; or, you are dealing with an illness or injury; or, you're worried about something hanging over you at work.  Whatever the case may be, your ability to weather these storms and the many other curveballs in life is shaped by the people, routines, and thoughts that fill your everyday life.  These are, for all intents and purposes, your base.

Instead of worrying, rely on your base
Adversity is difficult because it upsets our routines. But, as tough as it can be, adversity doesn't have to derail you. I've found that I deal with adversity better when I double down on my base; I keep my routines consistent, focus on my core beliefs, and make sure to surround myself with a strong support network of family and friends. This is a theme echoed in the world of positive psychology, too.

And if none of this helps you, try thinking about the big picture. Shift your perspective. Think about how past adversity has molded your character, or opened up unanticipated opportunities.  Walt Disney once said, "All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me...You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."

I hope you have a strong base to draw upon.  If not, develop one and practice relying upon it during moments that threaten to throw you off-kilter. In other words, be like Otavio! Have an unshakeable base in the face of adversity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Shadow of Gun Violence (In Loving Memory of Bette Clark)

I met Bette and her oldest son, Joey, during a death penalty trial in Center City.  It was the sentencing phase for the two men who killed her youngest son, Timmy, who was gunned down execution-style when he was 15. Caroline, an advocate with the Families of Murder Victims, introduced us.  "Bette, this is Jooyoung.  He's a researcher and wants to interview you."  Joey sized me up and seemed protective of his mom, who had already been through so much.  Her eyes were red from crying, so I said, "I'm really sorry to hear about what happened." She smiled a little and said in her Tacony accent, "Thank you. It's been such a long day.  But, call me whenever, sure." I spent the next day with Bette and her family at the courthouse and visited them weekly over the next year.  I hadn't planned on following the families of murder victims, but my ongoing research in Philly had pushed me in this direction.   While getting to know gunshot

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown I have a heavy heart tonight.  My thoughts and prayers are with the families of Newtown.  The Newtown shooting is a terrible tragedy. It has reminded me of lessons learned while studying the families of murder victims.  For the past 2 years, I have been researching the everyday lives of families who lose someone in a murder.  This has been difficult—and often heartbreaking—research.  I have spent many nights thinking about how much I take my family, friends, and other people in my life for granted.   I think about the mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and siblings whose first and last thoughts of each day are of the person they loved and lost. The things that I have seen and the stories that I have collected have left a deep and permanent mark on my soul. Amongst the many thoughts swirling around in my head, I keep returning to a troubling “double standard” that we

Bas Rutten's Punk Payback: How (Not) to Act During a Robbery

El Guapo I love Bas "El Guapo" Rutten.  The Dutchman was a former UFC Heavyweight Champion, 3-time King of Pancrase, and an all-around badass.  Following his illustrious fighting career, he transitioned into MMA commentary.  I've found his commentary insightful and think that he comes across as a very humble and approachable person. Recently, I learned that Fuel TV was producing a show for Rutten called "Punk Payback."  I immediately thought that the show would be a spin-off of MTV's "Bully Beatdown," a show in which professional MMA fighters confront and beat up bullies.   To me, this would make sense: Bas Rutten was bullied when he was younger and openly talks about developing self confidence/awareness through the martial arts. I just watched a 10-minute clip of Punk Payback and am surprised to report that it isn't this kind of show.  Instead, the episode I saw featured Rutten providing colorful commentary on how to resist/disarm armed