Skip to main content

The Texas Killing Fields and Political Differences on the Local Environment

Last night I was at home reading 50 Cent's autobiography, From Pieces to Weight: Once Upon a time in Southside Queens.  While reading about 50 Cent's past as a street hustler, I became intensely interested in a story on 48 Hours Mystery.  I usually don't watch 48 Hours Mystery, but found myself immediately drawn to the story that they were covering.

Photos of victims who were found in the Texas Killing Fields
Last night's episode was about an area that locals have nicknamed the "Texas Killing Fields," or the "Highway of Hell."  The area earned this nickname because of its grisly past.  Since 1970, law enforcement have recovered 30 dead bodies (mostly of whom are young girls) in this vast, desolate stretch of bayou.  On a sidenote: This story inspired a recent film called The Texas Killing Fields.  I'd be curious to know if anyone out there thinks that the film is worth seeing. 

Anyways, at one point in the show, a detective reflected on how this area was an ideal place for someone to do evil.  He described how The Killing Fields were immediately next to a freeway, providing offenders easy access to a dark and dense area where they could rape/torture/kill/dump bodies without ever being seen.  In other words, the local environment provided a kind of "natural cover" for criminals to do/get away with crimes that would be more difficult to do in other environments.
A movie adaptation of the area

During this part of the show, I started to think about the different ways in which local environments create opportunities for people to commit/get away with crime.  Although I disagree with some aspects of the theory, Wilson and Kelling's highly cited "Broken Window's" theory is one version of how social scientists have been thinking about the local environment's role in crimes.  For those who are unfamiliar, the Broken Windows theory basically suggests that criminals are more likely to commit crimes in areas that look dilapidated and unkempt.  At the heart, the Broken Windows Theory is an interpretive theory of crime; criminals assess local environments and choose particular areas in which they feel that they can get away with things.  A dilapidated and bombed out community with broken windows signals that residents in the area are less likely to intervene or even care that different kinds of crimes are occurring in their area.

Over time, the Broken Windows theory has been replaced by more systematic analyses that link environmental characteristics and crime (see Robert Sampson and Stephen Raudenbush's pioneering work), but the Broken Windows theory has still had a tremendous influence on policymaking, particularly as it relates to community redevelopment/gentrification.  Policymakers feel that if they can put various amenities into down and out areas (e.g. coffee shops, community centers, mixed-income housing), that they can create an environment that is unfriendly to criminal activity.  While gentrification is typically condemned in social science circles--particularly amongst the more liberal factions of social scientists--policymakers and law enforcement maintain that these methods are proven ways to decrease crime.  Critics, meanwhile, argue that redevelopment/gentrification often displaces the most vulnerable populations and also simply encourages criminals to relocate where they commit crime.  


Natural Cover in the vast Texas Killing Fields
I've never felt totally resolved on this debate and feel even more conflicted after seeing the Texas Killing Fields story.  While watching footage of the vast and undeveloped area where dozens of little girls have been recovered, I kept thinking "How would this have worked if the Highway of Hell was littered with small communities and areas that didn't provide a natural cover for people to do these things?"  I have felt similar tensions while conducting ethnographic fieldwork in Philadelphia with a stick-up boy, who remarked on how the poorly lit and bombed out areas near dive bars provided him with a natural cover to "get the drop" on unsuspecting victims.

In the end, I feel that there is really strange tension between law enforcement/policymakers and social scientists on the issue of redevelopment/gentrification.  Both sides seem to agree that crime is a bad thing and that the best research/policymaking should figure out how to reduce crime and increase community safety.  But, in spite of this shared sentiment, both sides are typically very far apart when it comes to redevelopment/gentrification.  My sense is that empiricism isn't the only thing separating these two views on the environment.  It would be nice if politics didn't prevent various parties from coming together and developing testable and replicable strategies to design environments that discourage crime.

Comments

  1. Have you watched 'Texas Killing Fields' yet? I discovered this post of yours after brushing up on how they went about making the film. It was a disappoint, to say the least. The filmmakers had a real opportunity to make a profoundly dark film but instead they opted for the typical by-the-numbers Hollywood treatment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Shadow of Gun Violence (In Loving Memory of Bette Clark)

I met Bette and her oldest son, Joey, during a death penalty trial in Center City.  It was the sentencing phase for the two men who killed her youngest son, Timmy, who was gunned down execution-style when he was 15. Caroline, an advocate with the Families of Murder Victims, introduced us.  "Bette, this is Jooyoung.  He's a researcher and wants to interview you."  Joey sized me up and seemed protective of his mom, who had already been through so much.  Her eyes were red from crying, so I said, "I'm really sorry to hear about what happened." She smiled a little and said in her Tacony accent, "Thank you. It's been such a long day.  But, call me whenever, sure." I spent the next day with Bette and her family at the courthouse and visited them weekly over the next year.  I hadn't planned on following the families of murder victims, but my ongoing research in Philly had pushed me in this direction.   While getting to know gunshot

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown I have a heavy heart tonight.  My thoughts and prayers are with the families of Newtown.  The Newtown shooting is a terrible tragedy. It has reminded me of lessons learned while studying the families of murder victims.  For the past 2 years, I have been researching the everyday lives of families who lose someone in a murder.  This has been difficult—and often heartbreaking—research.  I have spent many nights thinking about how much I take my family, friends, and other people in my life for granted.   I think about the mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and siblings whose first and last thoughts of each day are of the person they loved and lost. The things that I have seen and the stories that I have collected have left a deep and permanent mark on my soul. Amongst the many thoughts swirling around in my head, I keep returning to a troubling “double standard” that we

Bas Rutten's Punk Payback: How (Not) to Act During a Robbery

El Guapo I love Bas "El Guapo" Rutten.  The Dutchman was a former UFC Heavyweight Champion, 3-time King of Pancrase, and an all-around badass.  Following his illustrious fighting career, he transitioned into MMA commentary.  I've found his commentary insightful and think that he comes across as a very humble and approachable person. Recently, I learned that Fuel TV was producing a show for Rutten called "Punk Payback."  I immediately thought that the show would be a spin-off of MTV's "Bully Beatdown," a show in which professional MMA fighters confront and beat up bullies.   To me, this would make sense: Bas Rutten was bullied when he was younger and openly talks about developing self confidence/awareness through the martial arts. I just watched a 10-minute clip of Punk Payback and am surprised to report that it isn't this kind of show.  Instead, the episode I saw featured Rutten providing colorful commentary on how to resist/disarm armed