Skip to main content

A Public Health Approach to Crime Fighting

I was browsing Youtube tonight and found a recent news report about an LAPD raid on the Neighborhood Rollin' 40s Crip gang.




Something like 47 members of the 40s were arrested on charges ranging from drug possession/distribution, guns, and conspiracy.  Reports on the 40s always catch my eye because I used to do fieldwork in the area and knew some of the members through my research.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm always skeptical about the long-term efficacy of these kinds of programs.  Can you win a war on terror with terror?  In the short term, I'm sure that raids and other aggressive policing strategies will cause a dip in crime rates (something that is widely publicized after said raids).  This is perhaps why they are preferred methods; they produce immediately useable data for politicians, city attorneys, and others running on a "get tough on crime" ticket.

For example, I remember when the LAPD aggressively rolled out civil gang injunctions throughout LA.  In the immediate term, we saw a drop in violent crimes and arrests in areas with injunctions.  However, violent crime gradually returned to their pre-injunction rates over time.  Other researchers found that injunctions did little to overall crime rates; they were effective at relocating crimes to areas that didn't have injunctions.  When this happened, the LAPD switched gears and adopted other measures for curbing gang violence (one of them, if I remember correctly, was to use a Top-10 Most Wanted list much like the FBI, and to also identify key problems areas that had seen the highest per capita increase in gang violence).

What's more newsworthy? This or building a Boys and Girls Club?
In a nutshell, I feel like crime fighting is too reactionary in the US.  In many ways, law enforcement strategies mirror the logic of conventional medicine.  When a serious problem is identified, there are aggressive procedures and interventions for treating said problem.  While some of these solutions can cause a temporary improvement in health of a person or community, they often don't provide long-term solutions.

To me, it would be interesting if law enforcement approached crime fighting the way that public health officials approach health/wellness.  Instead of conducting raids, imposing civil gang injunctions, and using other methods that rely on brute force (and which ultimately erode trust and relations with community members), why not try to encourage healthy behaviors in individuals/families/communities before problems get too big?  Many of the same communities that have the highest rates of gang violence are also the most underserved areas.  Community centers like the Boys and Girls Club, after-school sports, and other community-driven programs are virtually non-existent in LA's "worst neighborhoods."  What if policymakers started investing into these kinds of programs instead of focusing on raids, injunctions, and other aggressive tactics?

I realize that this approach wouldn't yield the politically-seductive news of guns and drugs being seized during late night gang raids, but it might also prevent these problems from happening in the first place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Shadow of Gun Violence (In Loving Memory of Bette Clark)

I met Bette and her oldest son, Joey, during a death penalty trial in Center City.  It was the sentencing phase for the two men who killed her youngest son, Timmy, who was gunned down execution-style when he was 15. Caroline, an advocate with the Families of Murder Victims, introduced us.  "Bette, this is Jooyoung.  He's a researcher and wants to interview you."  Joey sized me up and seemed protective of his mom, who had already been through so much.  Her eyes were red from crying, so I said, "I'm really sorry to hear about what happened." She smiled a little and said in her Tacony accent, "Thank you. It's been such a long day.  But, call me whenever, sure." I spent the next day with Bette and her family at the courthouse and visited them weekly over the next year.  I hadn't planned on following the families of murder victims, but my ongoing research in Philly had pushed me in this direction.   While getting to know gunshot

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown I have a heavy heart tonight.  My thoughts and prayers are with the families of Newtown.  The Newtown shooting is a terrible tragedy. It has reminded me of lessons learned while studying the families of murder victims.  For the past 2 years, I have been researching the everyday lives of families who lose someone in a murder.  This has been difficult—and often heartbreaking—research.  I have spent many nights thinking about how much I take my family, friends, and other people in my life for granted.   I think about the mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and siblings whose first and last thoughts of each day are of the person they loved and lost. The things that I have seen and the stories that I have collected have left a deep and permanent mark on my soul. Amongst the many thoughts swirling around in my head, I keep returning to a troubling “double standard” that we

Bas Rutten's Punk Payback: How (Not) to Act During a Robbery

El Guapo I love Bas "El Guapo" Rutten.  The Dutchman was a former UFC Heavyweight Champion, 3-time King of Pancrase, and an all-around badass.  Following his illustrious fighting career, he transitioned into MMA commentary.  I've found his commentary insightful and think that he comes across as a very humble and approachable person. Recently, I learned that Fuel TV was producing a show for Rutten called "Punk Payback."  I immediately thought that the show would be a spin-off of MTV's "Bully Beatdown," a show in which professional MMA fighters confront and beat up bullies.   To me, this would make sense: Bas Rutten was bullied when he was younger and openly talks about developing self confidence/awareness through the martial arts. I just watched a 10-minute clip of Punk Payback and am surprised to report that it isn't this kind of show.  Instead, the episode I saw featured Rutten providing colorful commentary on how to resist/disarm armed