Skip to main content

RIP Tupac


Tupac: Revolutionary, Problem, or Neither?
It's been 15 years since Tupac Shakur was killed in a drive-by shooting.  While perusing news websites, blogs, and my Facebook status feed, I began to think about a larger moral debate that often comes together around Tupac and other rappers.

On one side, there are journalists and academics who are guilty of "Tupac worship."  I'm paraphrasing, but there are tons of journalistic and academic accounts that treat Tupac as if he were a "revolutionary" or "visionary" who changed the face of the music industry.  The more ambitious accounts like to argue that Tupac has forever changed the face of American culture.

I'm uncomfortable with the revolutionary tag and feel that people throw around this term too casually and liberally.  I'm also ambivalent with the visionary label, particularly since I think it's hard to really assess how a single artist has impacted something as vast as the music industry (let alone American culture).

C. Delores Tucker
To be fair, these accounts are responses to conservative criticism of Tupac and rap music.  The 1990s were a tumultuous time for Tupac and other outspoken black rappers.  In addition to a host of community groups and organizations, Tupac also faced intense criticism from the late C. Delores Tucker, a famous Civil Rights activist who waged a war against Tupac and other rappers.  Like many of the critics that have come before and after her, Tucker attacked the sometimes violent and misogynistic lyrics in Tupac's music, claiming that these lyrics were negatively influencing the attitudes and aspirations of black youth in the US.

Although I sympathize with the romantic treatments of Tupac, and understand some of the concerns from different critics, I think both sides commit the same error: They reduce Tupac and rap music into something essentially positive or negative.  Like debates about religion, abortion, gun control, and other hot button issues, both sides have a moral stake in the ground and seemed prepared to defend their position tooth-and-nail.

As a sociologist, I tend to think about things in less essential terms.  Instead of thinking of Tupac's music as a kind of "revolutionary music" or as a "cultural problem," why not appreciate it for all of the unique ways in which it has been a part of our lives?  One thing I love about music is that it can always take me back to some particular place and time in which I was listening to an artist or song.  Many of my fondest memories come equipped with a musical soundtrack of some sort.  Isn't this how music resonates with all of us?

"Zombie" now reminds me of intense swimming
For example, whenever I hear the Cranberries, I am reminded of the winter of my 9th grade year in Jacksonville, Fl.  At that point in my life, I was attending a prep school--The Bolles School--to pursue my dreams as a competitive swimmer.  I got a Cranberries CD for Christmas and took it back to Jacksonville with me.

In between morning and afternoon training sessions, I would come back to my room, and right before falling asleep, I'd put on "Zombie."  I don't know why, but this song was strangely comforting during that experience.  Now, whenever I hear that song or anything by the Cranberries, I'm reminded of a string of memories that begin in that place/at that time.

"Atliens" reminds me of D-Man Blancnhard
The same can be said about Outkast.  Everytime I hear songs from Atliens or Aquemini, I think about late nights rolling around Jacksonville with my "brother from another mother," Donald Blanchard.

Back in those days, Donald had a dark grey and black Nissan truck.  It had two doors, light grey interior, and very darkly tinted windows.  I didn't have a car in high school, but was able to ride shotgun with Donald wherever he went.  Most nights we never really did very much.  Aside from trips to different local malls, movie theaters, or late night restaurants, Donald and I spent a lot of time just cruising the sprawling streets of Jacksonville listening to Outkast.

What's up with this cat?
Finally, I have a ton of fond memories of Blink-182.  During my freshman year of college at UC Berkeley, I spent a lot of time hanging out with Matt Macedo.  In addition to swimming and partying together, Matt and I were also enrolled in Sociology 1: Introduction to Sociology.  At that point in time, I loved punk music.  I spent most of my free time going to punk rock shows at 924 Gilman Street, but then discovered Blink-182, NOFX, and other pop punk bands courtesy of Matt Macedo.  To this day, when I hear the song "Carousel" I remember lots of fun times with Matt and other swimming buddies.


I'm sure all of us have funny, sad, or inspirational stories of times in which we remember listening to Tupac's music.  If you feel comfortable sharing, I'd love to hear about them.

So, in short: Instead of analyzing the potential merits or problems of Tupac (or any music for that matter), why not remember all of the times in which we were listening to "Shorty Wanna be a Thug" or "How Do you Want it?" This is just my opinion, but I feel like these kinds of conversations are what's missing in moral debates about music.


Comments

  1. Very interesting. I'm always disappointed when I listen to interviews with musicians, artists, or actors I admire, because they are not at all as deep as I have imagined them to be based on their work. Tupac is no exception. I agree with you, let's spend a little more time on enjoying the damn music and a little less time on its moral interpretation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Shadow of Gun Violence (In Loving Memory of Bette Clark)

I met Bette and her oldest son, Joey, during a death penalty trial in Center City.  It was the sentencing phase for the two men who killed her youngest son, Timmy, who was gunned down execution-style when he was 15. Caroline, an advocate with the Families of Murder Victims, introduced us.  "Bette, this is Jooyoung.  He's a researcher and wants to interview you."  Joey sized me up and seemed protective of his mom, who had already been through so much.  Her eyes were red from crying, so I said, "I'm really sorry to hear about what happened." She smiled a little and said in her Tacony accent, "Thank you. It's been such a long day.  But, call me whenever, sure." I spent the next day with Bette and her family at the courthouse and visited them weekly over the next year.  I hadn't planned on following the families of murder victims, but my ongoing research in Philly had pushed me in this direction.   While getting to know gunshot

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown

The Existential Fall Out after Newtown I have a heavy heart tonight.  My thoughts and prayers are with the families of Newtown.  The Newtown shooting is a terrible tragedy. It has reminded me of lessons learned while studying the families of murder victims.  For the past 2 years, I have been researching the everyday lives of families who lose someone in a murder.  This has been difficult—and often heartbreaking—research.  I have spent many nights thinking about how much I take my family, friends, and other people in my life for granted.   I think about the mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and siblings whose first and last thoughts of each day are of the person they loved and lost. The things that I have seen and the stories that I have collected have left a deep and permanent mark on my soul. Amongst the many thoughts swirling around in my head, I keep returning to a troubling “double standard” that we

Bas Rutten's Punk Payback: How (Not) to Act During a Robbery

El Guapo I love Bas "El Guapo" Rutten.  The Dutchman was a former UFC Heavyweight Champion, 3-time King of Pancrase, and an all-around badass.  Following his illustrious fighting career, he transitioned into MMA commentary.  I've found his commentary insightful and think that he comes across as a very humble and approachable person. Recently, I learned that Fuel TV was producing a show for Rutten called "Punk Payback."  I immediately thought that the show would be a spin-off of MTV's "Bully Beatdown," a show in which professional MMA fighters confront and beat up bullies.   To me, this would make sense: Bas Rutten was bullied when he was younger and openly talks about developing self confidence/awareness through the martial arts. I just watched a 10-minute clip of Punk Payback and am surprised to report that it isn't this kind of show.  Instead, the episode I saw featured Rutten providing colorful commentary on how to resist/disarm armed